The calendar application within Office 365 is the online version of your Outlook calendar. This means that your meetings and appointments will be synced across platforms, so you don’t have to worry about keeping track of two different versions of your calendar. You can also access other calendars in Office 365, such as a shared or department calendar or a Resource Scheduling room calendar. The layout will look unfamiliar if you are used to using Outlook, but many of the same features are available in the online application.
How to Access Calendars in Office 365
- First, login to the Office 365 portal.
- Find the Calendar icon, either on the main screen or in the waffle menu at the top left of the page.
- Click the Calendar icon to open the application.
When you open the Calendar application, the calendars you were looking at most recently will be displayed. If this is the first time you’ve accessed the online calendar, your individual calendar will display.
In Office 365, your calendar is simply named “Calendar” and will appear in the left sidebar next to your profile image. Default calendars for U.S. holidays and a blank Birthday calendar will also be listed.
Adding Another Calendar
If you need to add another calendar, such as a co-worker’s shared calendar or a Resource Scheduling calendar, there is a convenient and simple way to do this in Office 365.
- Locate the Add Calendar menu at the top of the page.
- Select the drop-down arrow and choose From directory
- In the pop-up box, type the person’s name whose calendar you want to open (last name first) or the name of the Resource Scheduling calendar.
- If the the person or room name doesn’t appear, select Search Directory for more options.
- After you find the correct calendar, select Open. The calendar will open and be added to your left sidebar menu.
Viewing Multiple Calendars
To open multiple calendars at a time, simply click on the calendar names in your left sidebar. Each calendar will be assigned its own color to help you differentiate between them. Calendars without a color highlight have not been selected.
The default calendar view in Office 365 is the current month. You can see which calendars you have open by looking for the colored bars at the top of the month display. Again, your calendar will be named “Calendar” instead of your actual name.
To close one of the calendars you have open, hover over the colored bar and select the X next to the name.
Split View for Multiple Calendars
If you’re used to looking at multiple calendars where each has its own column, you will need to switch from month to day view in Office 365. Click the Day link at the top right of the display.
Select Split to view the separated columns for each calendar you have open.
Share Your Calendar
- To share your calendar via Office 365, click the Share button at the top of the display.
- In the right panel, enter the name of the person you want to share your calendar with (last name first).
- Either select their name from the suggestions or choose Search directory for more options.
- Choose their permission level for your calendar.
- Can view when I’m busy - This option allows the person to see that you are either “Busy” or “Free,” but does not give them any details about your calendar.
- Can view titles and locations - The person can view the name and location of the event, but no details or attached files.
- Can view all details - This option allows the person to open and view all of the event details.
- Can edit - The person can see all details and edit events on your calendar.
- Delegate - This option designates the person as your delegate, meaning they can view all event details, edit events, and respond to event invitations for you.
- After you’ve chosen their permission level, select Share and the person will receive an email letting them know you’ve shared your calendar with them.