(Information on this page comes from Respondus, and can also be found here.)
StudyMate Author lets instructors create ten Flash-based activities and games using four simple templates. The Flash activities can be used with any web server or published directly to a Blackboard course. StudyMate Author will import items from MS Word files and publisher test banks, making it easy to create interesting, interactive activities from existing content. Best of all, you don’t have to know Flash programming or HTML to use StudyMate Author.
StudyMate Author Features
Authoring & Importing
- Create Flash-based activities and games using an “offline” Windows interface
- Create activities for use on iPods, Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) and other small screen devices
- Four templates let you create ten activities and games (view sample activities here)
- Import existing content from Respondus, MS Word, rich-text, IMS QTI, and other formats
- Download publisher test banks for use with StudyMate Author from the Respondus Test Bank Network
- "Spell check" an entire file (includes dictionaries for American English, Canadian English, British English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, and a comprehensive medical dictionary)
- Insert graphics such as gif, jpeg, bmp, png, and pcx
- Embed audio files such as mp3 or wav
- Convert oversized graphics to a suitable size with one click
- Create algorithmic questions using the “Calculated” template
- Insert mathematical and scientific symbols using the built-in Equation Editor or MathType
- Add links to content on other servers with the Web Link tool
- Use the Quick Copy Wizard to quickly assemble activities from existing StudyMate Author files or publisher test banks
- Randomize questions and answer choices so the activity is different each time it’s started
Preview, Publish and Settings
- Select from six language interfaces for activities (Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, and Spanish)
- Choose settings that meet your accessibility objectives
- Preview activities and games before generating the Flash object
- Select only the activities and games wanted for the final Flash object
- Publish activities directly to Blackboard Basic or Enterprise (6.0 or higher), WebCT CE (4.0 or higher), WebCT Vista (2.1 or higher), or ANGEL LMS (6.3 or higher)
- Export activities as a SCORM 1.2 learning object or as a standard Flash (.swf) object
- Print questions or items directly from StudyMate Author, or save them to MS Word or rich-text format
- Full context-sensitive help
- StudyMate Author User Guide (MS Word/Wordpad format)
- Access to thousands of publisher test banks that can be downloaded and used with StudyMate Author -- FREE to instructors who adopt a participating textbook. [see how this works]
The Challenge format is similar to the game show Jeopardy where questions are assigned values and arranged according to the categories of your choice. Instructors can set the difficulty of each question and students can freely choose which question they want to answer. It is only available for multiple choice questions.
You can make crossword puzzles with a series of one-answer questions. Answers can have a maximum of 180 characters.
Fact Cards and Fact Cards Plus
Fact Cards is a study tool that helps students remember different facts and factoids for your course. Students can go through them one by one or randomly shuffle through the set.
Fact Cards Plus has an additional feature where students can choose which category of questions they want help with.
Fill in the Blank
Create short answer questions where students can fill in the response field with the correct answer.
Ask questions using flash cards where students can flip the cards in order to see the correct answer. Students can also choose to show the answers first to help them learn what specific terms are about.
Create a glossary of important terms and factoids students need to learn before your exam. Words are arranged alphabetically based on the first letter of the term.
Students will match a series of questions with a list of correct responses. Each set will ask 6 questions and students have to choose from 9 potential answers.
Pick A Letter
Similar to the game of Hangman, students will respond to questions by choosing the letters that spell the correct answer.
Create quizzes from multiple choice or calculated questions.
Installing and Configuring StudyMate Author
Instructions for installing and configuring StudyMate Author can be found here. You must be logged in to Experts with your BearPass Login to see this page.